Disputed Wills and Trusts
Charities – protecting legacies
We know all charities, regardless of size, expect more than just good legal advice.
We give practical, commercial advice while managing your public image.
We always ensure we have agreement on what needs to be done, timing and cost and we normally work on fixed fees agreed in advance.
We believe our role is to bring cases to a swift conclusion whilst protecting the legacies left to our charity clients. We are proud of this approach and it means that most of our cases are resolved without the need for expensive court hearings. When we have gone to court however we have achieved great results for our clients (Ramsey v Ramsay (2015), Bhusate v Patel (2018) and Ninian v Findlay (2019) ).
Our specialist legacy team has experience in both contentious and non contentious aspects of legacy administration.
We are corporate partners of the Institute of Legacy Managers and we invest in our people to ensure we have up to date knowledge and the extra qualifications needed to guarantee an exemplary service. We even offer a Service Level Guarantee to all of our clients.
Claims we cover:
- Challenges regarding the validity of Wills, including lack of capacity and undue influence
- Fraudulent and forged Wills
- Rectification of Wills
- Disputes arising as a consequence of missing or lost Wills
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants Act) 1975
- Proprietary estoppel, constructive and resulting trusts
- Removal of executors and trustees
- Applications for inventories and accounts
- Statutory Wills
- Professional negligence claims relating to Wills, trusts and estates
- Asset recovery and tracing claims including freezing applications
- Court of Protection disputes
- Breaches of trust
- Domicile issues
- Interpretation of Wills, trusts and/or the administration of estates
- Misappropriation of trust or estate property
- Cy-pres applications
Non contentious legacy administration
- Assisting charities with the administration of estates and advising on the most tax efficient ways to deal with assets
- Dealing with tax issues and liaising with HMRC
- Advising on Deeds of Variation and rectification of Wills
- Advising on the protection of the charity’s interests under Will trusts and the correct interpretation of the tax provisions within the Will
- Applications to the Probate Registry in accordance with the Non-Contentious Probate Rules
- Abated legacies
- Requests for information
- Professional administration costs
- Sale of assets
- Dealing with foreign estate assets
We are always happy to talk on an initial no obligation and informal basis so please email or call one of the team.