Wealth Planning

Incapacity and Court of Protection

Court of Protection / appointment of a Deputy

Without an LPA in place no one has the legal authority to make decisions on your behalf.

In the event of an illness or losing capacity the only option for your family will be to make an application to the Court of Protection for a Deputy to be appointed to manage your financial affairs.

The application can be time consuming and is more expensive than making a LPA.

It is very rare for a Deputy to be appointed for Health and Welfare matters as the Court prefers to consider applications on a one off basis whenever there is disagreement.

We can assist with such applications to make sure it runs as smoothly as possible and guide you through the process. In appropriate cases we can also act as a deputy either solely or alongside a family member.

Once the order is made our involvement can continue and we can continue to assist you in carrying out your responsibilities, making sure all relevant insurance is in place, completing annual reports, preparing for supervision and inspections, compiling accounts and completing annual tax returns.

For expert guidance on your duties as an attorney please contact us to make an appointment.

Our Wealth Planning Team

T: 020 7288 4713
Helen Beach
I am a Partner in the Wealth and Estate Planning Team. Read More
T: 020 7288 4783
John Nettleship
I am a Senior Solicitor in the Wealth & Estate Planning Team Read More
T: 020 7288 4771
Pamela Jarvis
I am a Senior Paralegal in the Wealth and Estate Planning team, and I work primarily in our Court of Protection team, assisting elderly and vulnerable clients. Read More
T: 0207 288 4764
Sam Hoskins
Iā€™m a paralegal within the Wealth and Estate planning team. Read More
Vaishali Kapadia
I am a Senior Solicitor in our Wealth and Estate Planning Team. Read More
Back to top